By Ian S. Markham
- Provides a substitute for the liberal / orthodox divide in modern Christianity.
- Defends Christianity’s engagement with non-Christian traditions.
- Includes vital dialogue of theological method.
- Illustrated with case reports related to human rights, interfaith tolerance, economics, and ethics.
Read or Download A Theology of Engagement (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) PDF
Best christian theology books
Towards the top of his profession, Karl Barth made the provocative assertion that maybe what Schleiermacher was once as much as used to be a “theology of the third-article” and that he expected sooner or later actual third-article theology would seem. Many interpreters, after all, took that to point not just a metamorphosis in Barth’s conception of Schleiermacher but additionally as a self-referential critique.
Kierkegaard has frequently been considered as a dismal philosopher but, as an evangelist, his goal was once to find the enjoyment of the reality of Christianity. either Kierkegaard's trust and his doubt in his personal paintings have been the results of his try and understand the phenomenal reports of biblical characters and to ascertain what he chanced on so much complicated or offensive.
Utilizing Socratic discussion to argue the facts, deadly selection makes its case for an orthodox view of hell. yet greater than that, the narrator unearths himself on a precise travel of hell without any except Hieronymus Bosch, the grasp of work on hell, as his mentor. "Fatal selection isn't any traditional fable. It combines paintings heritage, philosophical discussion valuable of the Greeks, rigorous orthodox theology, and devoted biblical hermeneutics.
Whereas justice is believed indispensible for a fit society, its advanced personality supplies upward thrust to conflicting functions. for that reason, The Enigma of Justice serves as a suitable name. In better aspect, the path is decided with a attention of justice in context of the prophets. those have been confronted with the unenviable activity of fine-tuning the monarchy to its covenant beliefs.
- The Ghost of Perfection: Searching for Humanity
- Acting for Others: Trinitarian Communion and Christological Agency (Emerging Scholars)
- The Virtue of Bonhoeffer’s Ethics: A Study of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Ethics in Relation to Virtue Ethics (Princeton Theological Monograph Series Book 194)
- From World to God?: or, New Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion
Extra resources for A Theology of Engagement (Challenges in Contemporary Theology)
A Theology of Engagement (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) by Ian S. Markham